As a tape manufacturer, you want to stay on top of new markets and ways your tapes can help them. One area to focus your tape manufacturing efforts on in particular is the building industry’s need for seam sealing tape. Ideal for holding air and vapor barriers in place, this type of tape is increasing in popularity for several reasons:
- The tape can address consumer desires for sustainability.
- It is easy to use during installation.
- It can help control moisture levels to make a home more comfortable.
- It plays a vital role in maintaining structural integrity as the building ages.
Therefore, it’s a good idea for you to consider the value manufacturing this type of tape can bring you and why you need to add it to your portfolio.
How Manufacturing Seam Sealing Tape Benefits You
Gain New Revenue Potential
Seam sealing tape is seeing increased use in the building industry due to recent changes to building codes. The U.S. Department of energy now requires an air or vapor barrier in all new and old buildings. Since seam sealing tape is used along the edges of these barriers, it provides a great opportunity for you to gain new customers and revenue when you manufacture it. The tape also has applications outside of air and vapor barriers; it can be used in flooring, roofing underlayment and exterior sheathing. This range of applications ensures you’ll have many entry points in the building industry when you manufacture it.
Show Your Market Knowledge
Beyond meeting building code requirements, seam sealing tape is becoming popular for several reasons. Manufacturing it will allow you to help builders and contractors address key market trends including:
- Increased energy efficiency: Air barriers regulate energy usage by keeping unwanted heat out of the building. However, without a proper seal around the barrier, air leakage can occur. Seam sealing tape provides a consistent seal to stop leakage and improve energy efficiency.
- Improved moisture control: Vapor barriers help trap out moisture that can cause damage to the building envelope. If the barrier’s seal is not up to par, moisture can leak in, increasing dampness and humidity. Fortunately, seam sealing tape is moisture-resistant and can help seal out unwanted vapors and wetness.
- Enhanced ease of use: Using a liquid sealant on a barrier can create an inconsistent seal and increased application time. Seam sealing tape, however, is as easy as unrolling the tape and pressing it into place for a quick yet uniform, complete seal.
- Heightened structural stability: Air and vapor barriers keep the building envelope safe from harsh temperatures, rain and other particles. Without their protection, mold growth and rotting can occur in the building. Therefore, these barriers are necessary for safety reasons, and seam sealing tape can help them perform optimally.
Stand Out from Competitors
The seam sealing tape market is relatively new in comparison to other tape markets. However, it is on the rise due to the greater need for air and vapor barriers. As more buildings and homes are built, this product will see increased use for years to come. You can stay ahead of your competitors by offering this tape now. This innovative solution will help position you as a leader in building industry tape applications, helping you stand out from the competiton.
How Bostik Can Help
Seam sealing tape is vital to the success of the air and vapor barrier. By adding it to your product line, you’ll expand your customer base and show you understand the concerns of builders and contractors. Bostik offers several adhesive solutions that are compatible with many tape backings to help you create reliable seam sealing tape. Contact a Bostik representative today to learn more about our tape adhesive solutions.
You can also learn more with this other relevant content: