According to Converting Quarterly, the demand for fresh produce packaging in the U.S. is expected to rise 3.2% each year to $6 billion by 2019. This predication is due to packaging playing a greater role in protecting, tracing and marketing fresh fruits and vegetables. Additionally, people are now consuming more fresh-cut, ready-to-eat produce than ever before, furthering the demand for more and better available packaging on the market.
Current Popular Produce Packaging
Corrugated boxes were the leading type of packaging in 2014, accounting for over 35% of demand. They offer the following benefits:
• Light weight
• Low cost
• Graphics capabilities
• Well-established recycling infrastructure
Corrugated boxes are also easily stacked and shipped, making them the primary type used for bulk shipments. However, it is expected that the growth rate for this type of packaging will slow down as flexible packaging formats and reusable plastic containers gain popularity.
Future Popular Produce Packaging
Converting Quarterly predicts the following two types of packaging will continue to gain popularity going forward:
Standup pouches (flexible packaging formats) offer the aesthetic appeal consumers are looking for when scanning grocery store shelves. These types of packaging increase brand marketing and recognition. They also allow for the following feature:
• Anti-fogging films, which provide product visibility and often feature colorful graphics to show nutritional properties.
Reusable plastic containers also possess aesthetic appeal while providing an added layer of protection for delicate products like tomatoes and berries. They also offer the following advantage for producers:
• Containers provide more ways to differentiate products in stores through an appearance that is cleaner than bulk displays
So, how have Bostik’s adhesives adapted?
Food Manufacturing cites the growth desire for peel and reseal technology when using flexible packaging products. Bostik offers M-Resins, the newest way to peel and reseal. M-Resins offer the following packaging advantages:
• Operational Efficiency: M-Resins have higher green strength and the ability to run at faster packaging speeds. This leads to a lower cost-in-use and an easier process for the manufacturing team.
• Balance Hermeticity: M-Resins use mainly thermoplastic elastomers, which stay in the sweet-spot between being hermetic yet resealable once opened by the consumer.
• Eco-Friendly: This extrudable, peealable and resealable adhesive for flexible packaging helps keep food fresh longer, reducing the estimated 40% of food thrown away in the U.S. due to spoilage.
For more information about Bostik’s packaging adhesives, call 800-7-BOSTIK. We are also on Facebook (Bostik Industrial) and Twitter (Bostik_IND).