Markets and Markets cites that the global hot melt adhesives market is projected to be worth $9.64 billion by 2020. With applications in several markets including packaging, filtration, assembly and automotive, it’s understandable why hot melt adhesives are growing in popularity and demand.
Let’s take a look at one type of hot melt adhesive in particular: hot melt polyamide adhesives.
What are Hot Melt Polyamide Adhesives?
Hot melt polyamide adhesives are 100% non-volatile, thermoplastic adhesive resins. Supplied in pellet form and solid at room temperature, they offer beneficial characteristic properties necessary in demanding performance environments. These include:
- Good chemical and grease resistance compared to other chemistries
- Excellent plasticizer resistance
- Good to excellent performance at elevated temperatures
- Low application viscosity
- Adhesion to a variety of substrates
What Should be Considered When Choosing the Right Hot Melt Polyamide Adhesive?
Required Temperature Performance
- An application’s temperature requirements are a primary concern when choosing a hot melt polyamide. Bostik manufactures hot melt polyamides with high temperature performance of >150°C.
- Process parameters can guide the selection of the right product. Bostik’s hot melt polyamides have a range of open times (20-60 seconds).
- Bostik’s hot melt polyamides are well suited for a variety of substrates including:
- Heated Metal
Bostik’s Featured Hot Melt Polyamide Adhesives
Bostik offers a variety of smart hot polyamide adhesive products. Certain products in particular are:
HM4229: This thermoplastic, dimer-acid polyamide supplied in pellet form. It features excellent plasticizer resistance, has a long open time and good temperature resistance. HM4229 can bond to a variety of substrates including wood, metal and many plastics including plasticized PVC.
HM4289: This hot melt polyamide adhesive has a moderate open time and offers the benefits of low viscosity for applications requiring high outputs. With a good balance of high and low temperature properties, HM4289 bonds to a variety of substrates including wood, engineered papers, non-wovens for the filter market and other materials used in automotive applications.
HM4278: This product is a high-performance dimer acid polyamide adhesive designed for filter applications. Fast setting, it offers the combined benefit of low viscosity for applications requiring high outputs and a good balance of high and low temperature properties.
For more information on hot melt polyamide adhesives, call 800-7-BOSTIK.